"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure."
from her book "A Return To Love"
Sun, August 26, 2012: First version with overview, bit history and references.
What are RepRaps? Self-Rep
id prototyping - a machine which partially can produce parts of itself using 3D Printing technology
It extrudes a heated plastic layer by layer in X, Y and Z and so creates a solid form, called Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF) (aka Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM)) - there are other ways to build 3 dimensional solid forms parametrically, but FFF is rather simple and cost-effective approach.
Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF)
I got interested in RepRap a few years ago but didn't follow up as the first models were expensive and too complex to build and use - this changed and since about December 2011 got interested more thoroughly again, thanks to several Kickstarter projects, such as Printrbot .
Due the nature of RepRap, plans are all Open Source, for everyone to adapt, alter and republish - it is like the Open Source movement, now it's about creating solid things.
Some of my thoughts on RepRap:
, Senior Lecturer in mechanical engineering at the University of Bath (UK), started the RepRap
movement around 2005 with a very comprehensive aim in mind: Wealth Without Money
His first model was the "Darwin", which was then improved to "Mendel" - at that point the community started to develop and extend the variation:
- Mendel aka "Sells Mendel", classic (1x Z-axis motor), Z-axis is X/Y-way stabilized
Not recommended to build since simpler versions exist:
- Prusa Mendel , (2x Z-axis motors), printed parts massively simplified - quasi standard now
- Printrbot , loosly based on Prusa Mendel , very simple, Z-axis in the open (one end fixated)
- Wallace , parametric version, Z-axis stabilized using a horizontal rod to connect both Z rods.
- Portabee , Z-axis in the open
- Bukobot , alike Printrbot but with aluminium extrusions (very rigid) and Z-axis is X-way stabilized
- FoldaRap , with aluminium extrusions, Z-axis is X-way stabilized, foldable
- FoldaRap , power-supply & controller nicely integrated, speciality: foldable (easy to transport)
- MakiBox , case with power-supply, controller, all in a box, speciality: pellets to filament converter built-in (still in development)
Read further my technical notes at RepRap.org.
- United Kingdom: RepRapPro.com , Huxley Mendel, parts
- Netherlands: Ultimaker.com , printers, material etc
- Germany: 2PrintBeta.de , Prusa Mendel, Printrbot kits, parts, material
- Germany: Germany RepRap GmbH , Prusa Mendel, parts, material
- Switzerland: SwissRepRap.com , Prusa Mendel, parts, material
- Switzerland: 3D-model.ch , consulting, printing, low-end to high end 3d printers, 3d-systems reseller
- Switzerland: Fabberworld.com , ABS/PLA source
- Switzerland: Teil3.ch , printing service & sells his own 3D printer
- Switzerland: 89grad.ch , innovation & development, using Ultimakers 3d printers
- Switzerland: Fablab.ch , upcoming fablab network
for other areas, check 3Ders.org
: price & feature overview
Full Printed from nueveojos on Vimeo.